Foods That Naturally Whiten Teeth
It’s no secret that we all want a brighter, whiter smile. Many of us go to great lengths to avoid foods and drinks that stain and yellow our teeth. We even seek out at home or in office dental procedures to whiten our teeth. But, did you know that there are certain foods that naturally clean and whiten your teeth?
These foods help protect your mouth from harmful bacteria that can damage your teeth and gums. On top of a proper oral health routine, it is a good idea to chose foods that work to clean and protect your teeth.
Here are a few foods that actively work to whiten your teeth.
• Dairy products – Foods that contain dairy such as milk, cheese and yogurt all work to give you a brighter, whiter smile. They help strengthen your teeth by providing calcium and in addition to that, they also contain lactic acid. Lactic acid helps fight tooth decay and kills of harmful bacteria.
• Pineapples – This tasty tropical fruit contains an enzyme known as bromelain. This enzyme works as a natural stain remover and can help lighten the color of your teeth. Eating pineapple also stimulates saliva production, which helps prevent the formation of plaque. It is worth mentioning that although pineapples contain stain removing enzymes, they are also high in citric acid. Too much of this citric acid can be harmful to your teeth and can wear away at your enamel.
• Strawberries – These delicious little fruits are another great food that naturally works to whiten your teeth. Strawberries contain malic acid, which is an enzyme that cleanses and removes stains from the surface of your teeth.
• Vegetables that are rich in fiber – Crunchy, fiber-rich vegetables like celery are not only great for your gut, they are also great for your gums. Vegetables that are rich in fiber such as broccoli, cauliflower and carrots help to increase saliva production which, in turn, washes away any food particles leftover after eating.
• Flaxseed – Flaxseeds are rich in both fiber and are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps by protecting you from developing gum disease in the future.
A Lasting Smile would love to hear from you! Please call our office today to schedule your next appointment at (708) 755-2220.