A dental extraction is a process of removing a tooth from the mouth. This form of treatment is usually only sought after if all other forms of treatment have been exhausted, and the tooth is damaged beyond repair:
You may require a tooth extraction if you have the following:
• Severe tooth decay or infection may make it impossible or too costly to repair a tooth
• Advanced gum disease requiring a tooth to be pulled so it doesn’t affect the supporting tissues and bone structures of your mouth
• A tooth blocking other teeth from coming in
• During orthodontic work, teeth may need to be extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place
• Wisdom teeth are often extracted either before or after they come in
What to expect:
Your dentist in Chicago Heights will first numb the area to reduce discomfort. During the extraction, you should only feel the pressure of the tooth being removed, not any pain. The entire process should only a matter of minutes.
Directly following the extraction, a small amount of bleeding is to be expected. A patch of gauze will be placed in the affected area that must be changed frequently, according to our personalized instructions for you. If the bleeding does not seize in about 24 hours, you should contact our office right away.
To schedule an appointment with your Chicago Heights dentist, call (708) 755-2220 or Click Here today.